Skip to main content

How to make a phone call in Japanese? - learn Japanese greetings with Hirugao

Japanese greetings

As you may already know, we use certain language patterns in Japanese. It's the same rule, as in English, when you ask a person "How are you?", before actually talking to them. They are customary.

Firstly, let's remind ourselves such set expressions and occasions when they are used:
  • We say ただいま(戻りました) Tadaima (modorimashita) ("(I came back) just now"), when we get back home, and お帰り Okaeri /  お帰りなさい Okaerinasai ("Welcome home"), when we greet someone, who just came back. 
  • We also say  行って来ます Ittekimasu ("I'll be back", literally "I'll go out and be back" ), when we go out, and  行ってらっしゃい Itterasshai ("Go and be back"), when someone is leaving.
  • Before eating, we would say いただきます Itadakimasu ("I'm receiving gratefully"), and ご馳走様でした Go-chisou-sama (deshita) ("It has been a feast/ It was delicious"), after we ate the food someone made or bought for us.
  • We will wish somebody luck by saying 頑張ってください Ganbatte kudasai  (literally: "Do your best, please").
  • And we will leave our workplace shouting お疲れ様です Otsukare-sama desu ("You must be tired", sometimes translated as: "Thank you for your hard work").

But those expressions are only basic. We also follow patterns for whole conversations.  In formal language, the patterns are crucial if you want to be treated like a civilized person ;) You will hold a conversation differently depending on who are you talking to, what you are talking about, and finally - depending on the medium you use. 

So let's take it really slow now and talk only about the conversations held over the phone. The example comes from Hirugao (ep.1), where Rikako's husband shows how it's done!


Bowing during telephone conversation is essential. Don't forget it! ;) /Photo:  http://mcha.jp/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/pic_beauty042_97.jpg

Japanese phone conversation

Note that Rikako's husband speaks formally, while Sawa-san is a bit sulky.

A: もしもし!お電話変わりました。初めまして。いつもリカコがお世話になっております。
Moshi, moshi!* O-denwa kawarimashita.* Hajimemashite.** Itsumo Rikako ga o-sewa ni natte orimasu**.
B: お世話しません、全然。。
O-sewa shitemasen, zen-zen..-_-

A: 今日妻がお誘いしたせいで何か怪我をさせてしまったそうで、申し訳ありませんでした! 
Kyou tsuma ga o-sasoi shita sei de, nanika kega wo sasete shimatta sou de, moushiwake arimasen deshita! **
B: いえ。
Ie.
A: 妻は世間知らずなところがありますが、これに懲りずこれからも仲良くしてやってください。
Tsuma ha seken shirazu na tokoro ga arimasu ga, kore ni korizu, kore kara mo nakayoku shite yatte kudasai.
B: 「世間知らず」、ハハハ!
'Seken shirazu' - ha,ha,ha!
A: ハハハ!じゃ、リカコに変わります。失礼します。お大事に!
Ha,ha,ha! Ja, Rikako ni kawarimasu.* Shitsurei shimasu**. Odaijini.**

***What's with the stars?
* Used only on the phone
** Used also in face to face conversations.

A: Hello. Nice to meet you (literally: "it's the first time"). Thank you for continuously taking care of Rikako!
B: I'm not, actually, at all...
A: I heard that today, because of my wife's invitation, you have been injured somehow - I'm deeply sorry (literally: "There is no excuse for it") !
B: It's nothing.
A: My wife can sometimes lack common sense, but don't let it discourage you, and from now on please continue to be friends.
B: "Lack common sense", hahaha!
A: Hahaha! Then.. I will hand the phone over to Rikako. Forgive the my rudeness (of finishing the conversation first). Get well soon (literally: Take a good care of yourself)


That's all for today, お疲れ様です❢
Good luck calling Japanese people, and don't forget to bow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's not just an empty compliment, I ran away from home, Men are sly and more - more of Hirugao ep.2

Here is the second part of the expressions from Hirugao, episode 2! Expressions お世辞じゃないですよ! Oseji ja nai desu yo! -It's not just an empty compliment. 案外優しいですね。 Angai yasashii desu ne. - You are surprisingly kind. エレベーターが来てますよ。 Erebe-ta- ga kitemasu yo. - The elevator/lift is here. *Note: kuru = to come; but the continuous form - "kite imasu" - means: "it came and still is here" not : "is coming". M onologue 1 結婚して5年、初めて家を飛び出しました。でも、行く当てなんてありません。 Kekkon shite go-nen, hajimete ie wo to-bi da-shimashita. Demo i-ku tou-te nante arimasen. - After 5 years of marriage, (it was) the first time, (when) I ran away from home. But it's not like I had a place to go. (literally: 当てない, tou te nai = without purpose or aimlessly) site: Japanesevideocast Monologue 2 男の人はいつもずるい。 ドアは叩くくせに、自分では開けようとしません。 女が鍵を開けて,「ここだよ」と、 優しく声を掛けてあげなければ、何事もなかったふりをして、通り過ぎてしまうのです。 Otoko no hito ha itsumo zurui. Doa ha tataku kuseni, jibunde ha akeyou ...

Japanese lessons introduction

Before we start, I wanted to shortly introduce the purpose of the blog and the best way you can benefit from it. How it started I've been learning Japanese for four years now. But besides studying I enjoy watching Japanese TV shows. Until now, I couldn't find a page, where I could learn Japanese dialogues from dramas or movies written down (you know, with proper kanji and so on). With reading and translation, so I have decided to do it myself. That's why I have started this blog. All expressions I translate by myself, so if you have any suggetions, let me know in the comments. How to learn from dramas The best thing you can do to learn Japanese with this blog is to study expressions in each post, and later try to hear them during watching a drama. My method includes both reading and hearing out the sentences. I think your study will be more efficient that way. I will be including infomation about the episode's number only, so all the fun finding the expressio...

Learning Japanese from dramas

Hello and welcome to a Japanese learning blog that you've been looking for! There are many reasons to enjoy Japanese dramas. I will make sure you learn while you watch them. We will make dialogues from dramas our source of fluent Japanese 😼 Talk to me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/learnjapanesefromdramas Let the fluency begin! ライアーゲームスタートです (Laia- ge-mu suta-to desu) - Let the liar game begin! * source:  cinemacafe.net *A catchphrase from a drama "Liar game".